What to See
The Museum has a wealth of treasures to see and delight visitors of all ages:
- Cromwell’s hat – an amazing survival is this 17th century hat, believed to have belonged to Cromwell and been worn by him when dismissing the ‘Rump’ Parliament. We also have a replica that you can try on!
- Portraits and Paintings – we have an interesting collection of portraits of Cromwell (including the famed ‘warts and all’ portrait by Sir Peter Lely), his family and many other important characters from the period.
- Arms and Armour – see original arms and armour from the time of the Civil Wars, including several of Cromwell’s swords.
- Personal items – we have astonishing personal items belonging to Cromwell and his family, including his gunpowder flask, an exquisite chest given to him as a diplomatic gift, and his medical cabinet.
- Family activities – we have a number of trails and activities for our younger visitors, including replica items and costumes to handle and try on.